22 December 2012

20 years in Canada

This past week marked the 20th anniversary of my “landing day” in Canada. 20 years ago, my dad, mom, two brothers, and I got off the JAL airplane in YVR and officially became Canadian landed immigrants. It was a very cold day, I remember, and coming from the tropics, we were all pretty shell-shocked by the temperature. My first glimpse of Vancouver from the airport entrance was of the snow-capped North Shore mountains. I remember thinking how beautiful the view was.

Canada has been very good to me and my family. Thank you, Canada, for welcoming us with open arms. Thank you, Papa and Mama, for uprooting your own lives so that your kids can live in a place with better opportunities. Your sacrifices have not been for naught and I appreciate them every single day I get to enjoy the life that we have been able to build here in Vancouver.

No comments: