13 January 2014

Goals for 2014

1) Keep journaling
I think for the first time since starting a journal in 2005, I have missed writing in it for two full months (Nov, Dec 2013).  That is pretty sad and not a habit I wish to continue.  Writing is good for me.  It helps  quiet my self-talk, which is usually negative or work-related (i.e., stressful).  Getting stuff out of my head and into my journal helps me relax, as I unload my brain.  It also captures moments that I end up forgetting.  Journaling is healthy and necessary.   No matter how busy my life gets, I must make time for capturing and unloading my thoughts to my journal.  This is a must.

2) Keep CrossFitting
It took me almost three years after having a baby to get back to the gym regularly.  I started going to a CrossFit gym last May and I’ve managed to keep at it.  I attend the 6am class, which a few years ago, I would have thought completely impossible for me to do.  But having a baby trains parents to wake up early, and so getting up and going to a 6am class has become achievable for me.

3) Keep my cool
Sophia is a capricious, mercurial 3-year old.  Spread the jam on the toast in a way she dislikes, and boom, an emotional outburst ensues.  In a snap, she goes from being jovial to throwing a tantrum.  And I sometimes lose my patience with her and we end up fighting.  So, my goal is to keep calm, cool and neutral when these outbursts occur and when we’re butting heads about one thing or another.  This, at times, is such a huge challenge but I have to keep trying and trying.  I don’t know any other human being who can make me so angry!  But she is my child, she is precious, and our relationship is precious.  I can’t afford to not keep trying.

2 comments:

The Blommesteins said...

Good luck with your goals this year Liezel! Your last two sentences were so beautiful, I just about teared up. Sophia is such a lucky girl to have and awesome mama like you. One day when she's a teenager and is pissed at you, I'll direct her to read this post.

LL said...

I don't think you'll have to wait until she's a teenager! You saw her in Revelstoke! When she's mad, she acts like a teenager already. haha