18 October 2006

Back to reality

After our relaxing time in Boracay, it was back to the chaos of Manila. The traffic and pollution were atrocious but you can’t really take it too seriously. It’s just part of life there and that’s the way it is.

Once we got back from Boracay, we went to my Tita Mila’s house for dinner. I haven’t seen her and her family in ages! It was great to catch up with them. Saturday, Ed and I had lunch with the Lintags (my sister’s in-laws) at the Alabang country club - how posh. After lunch, my sister took me to Greenhills for some shopping and my brother-in-law took Ed skeet shooting. Interesting experience for Ed, I’m sure. Greenhills was crazy amazing. Row upon row of vendor stalls selling everything from Persian area rugs, to imitation designer bags, to fresh water pearls, to imitation brand-name runners, to fake Lacoste shirts. It just went on and on. I bought a triple A quality fake Coach purse. Apparently, it’s really hard to tell that it’s not real. But since I’m not really a purse person, I just have to take their word for it.

Sunday, we had lunch with aunts, uncles, cousins, and childhood friends whom I haven’t seen in years. My dad was there, too. My dad’s sister, tita Zenny, looks awesome at 78 years old. She looks like she’s just in her early 60’s. Lad, who used to pick on me when we were kids, now have three kids of his own. I was so glad to see them and spend a few hours together. After the lunch, my sister took us to the massive SM Mall of Asia. This mall is gigantic. Apparently, if you run around the perimeter of the mall, it would be a 5K run. Funny thing is, even with the mall so big, it was still packed inside! Lots of people spending Sunday afternoon in the mall. That seems to be the thing to do around here.

I discovered that books are cheaper here too, so Ed and I bought a few. On our way back to my sister’s house, we also bought a whole bunch of goodies to take home to Vancouver. It was later that night, when I piled up all the stuff I’ve accummulated over the last four weeks beside our suitcases and backpacks, that I began to worry that we won’t have enough room in our luggage. It will be fun packing tomorrow.

Monday. Our last day, hard to believe. We spent the morning packing all our stuff into the limited luggage space we had and thankfully, they all fit. Yay. Then it was off to Makati for lunch with three of my highschool mates and dinner with Ed’s friend from university who is currently residing in Manila. In between lunch and dinner, Ed and I treated ourselves to a massage at the spa in Greenbelt. It was a great way to spend our last afternoon in Manila.

We had two Tuesdays. One where we spent most of the day in airports and airplanes. It was 6pm when we left Japan but only 11am when we landed in Vancouver. So our second Tuesday was spent saying hello to our cats, dusting our townhouse, cleaning litter boxes, and doing laundry. Yes, we’re definitely back to reality.

No comments: