12 October 2006

Boracay

Sun! Finally! The clouds have parted and blessed me and Ed with days of sunshine. Well, the clouds were still there but not like last week. In any case, I got my tan. I'm happy.

Boracay's White Beach is fantastic. Miles and miles of fine white sand and clear blue water. I've been to many beaches and this one ranks as one of the best. Ed and I have been beach bums the last three days. We found a bookstore and bought a couple of novels to keep us occupied. Read, eat, sleep, work on the tan. That about sums up the last few days. Beautiful!

It's a great way to relax after our whirlwind tour of Palawan and Bohol. This is relaxation to the max. Too bad we have to go back to Manila tomorrow.

Notables:
- Finding a bookstore was hard! Had to ask about ten different people before we got directions to a store that sold books, as opposed to magazines. I actually contemplated for 5 seconds about opening up a bookstore here on d'Mall (main mall on the beach strip). How would I like living on a small island? Hmmm....
- Fish here are aggressive. They brushed up against my legs and feet while I was lounging around in the water. I think they bit me too. Aahhhh... I actually went running out of the water, totally freaked out.
- My tagalog has taken two steps back. Since I speak english all the time to Ed, my brain gets all mushed up when I switch back to tagalog. So much for being bilingual.
- Massage is all the rage here. There's an army of women walking up and down the beach asking if you'd like a massage. 300 pesos for an hour massage. That's not even $10.
- The vendors ask you once if you'd like to buy whatever they are selling. You say "no thanks" and they leave you alone. It's great. Nothing worse than being hounded while you're on vacation.
- I bought a bikini top that has a halter neck. Now I have a funny looking tan line. Ugh. At least I have a tan line. This time last week, I thought my tan was in jeopardy.
- Here, they say "eat all you can" instead of "all you can eat".
- You can judge if a restaurant is expensive or not by the price of their San Miguel beer. 30 pesos is cheap, 40 pesos is average, 50 pesos is expensive.

No comments: