20 March 2007

Scary ATM

I went to visit my mom and brother in Richmond last weekend. Hung out at my mom’s place for a few hours, exchanging stories, catching up. We started talking about my dad and she said that my dad relies on my older sister to withdraw money from the bank for him because he’s afraid to use the ATM. I found this absurd. I mean, before retiring in the 90’s, my dad was a top executive at a bank. How could an ATM scare him? But my mom was insistent - it’s a machine, a computer, and we “older people” don’t know how to use it, she said. Then she admitted that she was scared to use the ATM, too, but she forced herself to do it. Her first two attempts, she made mistakes and got so rattled that she just strode off, leaving her withdrawn money in the machine. Good thing she withdrew just $20 each time.

I didn’t know what to say. I felt compassion for her and I was proud that in spite of her fear, she forced herself to keep up with the times by learning to use the ATM. But I also could not say that I understood, for I did not. I tried to think of something that would make me feel that way and I drew a blank. Maybe when I am my parents’ age I will know what it’s like. I hope not, though. I’d like to believe that my desire to figure things out will always overcome any fear of the unknown. That’s my hope, anyway.

1 comment:

Derek said...

I haven't experienced that -- my dad was taking me to try out the BCIT mainframe when he was learning FORTRAN in the late '70s, and he wields a pretty mean soldering iron, so there's been very little technophobia in our family.