24 April 2008

Things

I usually use a To Do list to get myself organized. I go in spurts, though - either I’m diligently using my list or it’s sitting on my desk forgotten and obsolete. I keep trying different types of “lists”, too. Sometimes I just use Post-It notes. Sometimes, I use iCal. Sometimes, I use a notebook to keep my list. I think the weak link in this process is me remembering to add my tasks to the list. I just start keeping a list in my head and forget to put them down on paper or enter them into my computer. I haven’t really figured out yet how to fix this weak link.

Anyway, Bill Dobie sent me a link a while back to Things. It is a task management software that uses the Getting Things Done (GTD) methodology - whatever that means! There’s a book of the same title and this software is based on that book, but since I haven’t read the book, I don’t really know the details of GTD. From what I gather from Things and wikipedia, it’s a method for getting the stuff out of your head and recording it somewhere. It’s a way to clear the clutter out of your head.

So, I will use Things to organize myself and see how long I stick to it. Should I have a to-do item of “enter tasks into Things”??? hehehe

5 comments:

kensei said...

I use rememberthemilk.com. Things looks slick but rtm is a web app and it's free.

bockman said...

Lots of GTD things;
http://lifehacker.com/tag/gtd/

Yvette said...

And it looks like they're coming out with a version for your iPod Touch in late June. That will make it easier to de-clutter your head.

I think I can de-clutter my head by getting rid of my family and my job. Did I just say that out loud...??

LL said...

I can't believe you did say that out loud!!!

The Blommesteins said...

Good thing Lil Josh can't read yet. Poor Brian though! :)