22 February 2012

iGuy

Sophia has started to use the iPad regularly. I have purchased some Little Einsteins and Dora videos, and have installed a few apps for her. She has started to walk around while carrying the iPad and I know it is just a matter of time before she drops it. I have been looking for an iPad case for a while and found one specifically designed with a toddler in mind. It is called the iGuy from Speck Products. It’s made of foam, has handles, and can stand up on its own. So far, it has worked out well. It is light and offers enough protection, in case Sophia drops or tips over the iPad.

There are a couple of things that I am not thrilled about. I expected the shoulders to be stiffer to keep the arms in place. When holding the iGuy on just one arm, I worry about the arm straightening out (and it does straighten out) and slipping from Sophia’s grip. Also, when Sophia sets down the iPad on the floor, because the leg area is thicker than the top area, the screen flips upside-down. I noticed Sophia spending a few minutes turning the iPad round and round until the icons on the screen were oriented correctly. I was also impressed that she figured all this out by herself!

But generally, I am happy with the purchase. It makes the iPad bulkier to carry around but I accept that in exchange for the protection it offers against toddler abuse.
My brother in the iGuy.

Sophia and my brother on FaceTime.


No comments: