27 June 2013

Mothers and fathers

I missed blogging about Mother's Day so I'll just combine that with Father's Day.

Two years ago, for my first Mother's Day as a mom, Ed asked me how I wanted to celebrate it.  My response - just let me sleep in.  I didn't want to celebrate anything.  I just wanted to rest.  I didn't want to be taking care of a baby that day.  I wanted to be left alone.

I suppose it is a good sign that, two years later, I wanted to go out for brunch and celebrate together.  We celebrated this year's Mother's Day in Portland, where we were visiting Ed's mom for a few days.  I googled brunch places in Portland and decided to reserve a table at The Country Cat.  I'm glad we had reservations because the line up that morning was long.  I felt bad for the moms whose families left because the wait was too long.  But really now, why would you not make reservations for brunch on Mother's Day???

I felt happy that there was a long line up, primarily because I had picked the restaurant and I didn't want to disappoint my mom-in-law.  The food must be good if this was such a popular place, I was thinking.
Gladly, the food was fantastic and my mom-in-law liked her dish.  Whew!

A few photos from our brunch:
I think Ed looks like his mom
Mom  
Happy Mother's Day to me
Sophia didn't want to be in the photo and let us know it
 For Father's Day, Ed was feeling under the weather so he spent most of the day in bed.  I had bought tickets to a dance show for Sunday evening and had reservations at Indochine Kitchen for dinner.  In late afternoon, Ed put his game face on and told me he was up for going.

This was Sophia's first time going to see a dance show and she was enthralled.  She seemed to really enjoy the performances and didn't want to leave when I said it was time to go for dinner.  The food at Indochine Kitchen was really delicious.  Unfortunately, Sophia was not in a good dinner mood  and dinner did not pass as pleasantly as I had hoped.  Oh well, that is life with kids.

For Father's Day, I asked Sophia to pick out a card for Ed and, of course, she picked a princess card.  I also asked her to write a greeting and her name on it.  She also gave him a rock that she had painted in daycare (I think it's supposed to be a paper weight).  Here is Sophia's Father's Day card for Ed:

The princess card.  I translated Sophia's "writing" for Ed.

No comments: