15 January 2008

Invisalign

I got braces today. Oh, excuse me. They are called aligners. Invisalign aligners.

First, my dentist made some of my teeth thinner by fraction of millimetres to make space for the planned movements. Using a saw of some sort, he thinned out my teeth. Now I have a gap between my two front teeth.



You can’t really see the Invisalign on my teeth. I am talking funny now, though, so people notice that. But if I were just to smile and not say anything, the Invisalign is certainly invisible.



The aligners feel tight now. It hurts when I first put them on or remove them. But apparently, this will subside after a couple of days. I am excited about finally getting them. I first talked to my dentist about getting them about six years ago. It took me a while. The downside is that I can’t just munch on snacks. It is a bit of a production to take them off and put them back on. So I can’t just take a cookie and chow it down, for example. I guess I can but I now ponder whether eating that cookie is worth the trouble. I’m going to miss grazing on snacks whenever I feel like it.

3 comments:

Yvette said...

Hmmm...sounds like a good plan for a diet! I could use the "no munching on snacks" plan!

Unknown said...

Congrats on joining the "teenager train" (I think Patrick was embarrassed when I looked like his 14-year old wife with braces)! My doctor didn't offer Invisalign, and apparently with my teeth, it would've taken much longer. But at least you won't have to suffer learning how to eat broccoli with braces :).

The Blommesteins said...

Hey I want updates on how it goes. I now wish I'd used my retainer more as a teenager. It would also help me with the no snacks thing too.