19 July 2008

Busy week

I haven’t been posting on my blog not because I don’t want to but because I’ve been too damn busy. Long days with BP and then out to dinner with Randy and Roy. I have never consumed so much alcohol during a business trip before! It’s not that they forced me to drink but when you’re with people who drink, you end up drinking too. Anyway, it’s all good fun.

BP took us out after work on Thursday. We took the Thames Clipper boat from Canary Wharf to Tower of London and then we walked to a pub called Old Thameside Inn for pre-dinner drinks. Afterward, we headed to an Italian restaurant called Tentazioni and the food and wine were fantastic. (yes, more alcohol!) I had Dover sole for the first time ever and it was grilled to perfection. Yum. The folks from BP were very friendly and quite fun to hang out with. Gauging from the laughter and merriment around the table, everyone had a great time.

Since I am taking most of next off to go to Paris and we need to submit a proposal to BP by Friday, I have to work this weekend. I anticipated it would be this way. Before we left for London, Roy (my boss) said I have two weeks after our meeting with BP to finish the estimate we need to submit to BP. Well, last Wednesday, he informs me that BP needs it sooner and that I have a week, not two. I just stared at him. I’m in Paris next week and I’m not canceling! So I’ll finish what I can this weekend and Roy can take it from there. I’m going to Paris, dammit.

The really positive thing about this project is the BP team we’re working with has shown so much willingness and openness to work to us. We had three user representatives absolutely willing to spend the time with us showing us what they do and answering our questions. You’d think that is common but it’s not. It was really refreshing to work with a group who has bought into the idea of a system and are quite enthusiastic about it.

So it’ll be work, work, work for a couple more days then Paris. Can’t wait!

No comments: