22 January 2011

No fluke, I hope

For a week and a half now, we haven’t had a poopy diaper. Not because Sophia hasn’t gone to poo, but because she has figured out how to poo in the toilet! I’m soooo proud of her (declared with a swagger of a proud mama). hahahaha She’s done it in the toilet six times in a row. I am hoping that this is not a fluke.

I learned about “elimination communication” (or EC) when Sophia was about eight weeks old and I decided to start trying it with her. I thought EC was a long shot and wishful thinking, really, but babies truly are amazing. That she can figure out that I want her to poo in the toilet instead of the diaper, at five months, is pretty amazing.

Anyway, I just had to share that and I hope I’m not jinxing my luck by doing so. I really hope Sophia has really figured it out and this isn’t just a fluke!

2 comments:

The Blommesteins said...

Yay Sophia! ECing is awesome. I totally don't think it's a fluke. After a while I also believe that they prefer to do the deed in the potty rather than in their pants.

Derek said...

I hope you're right, but five months is also VERY early to figure this stuff out, so don't be disappointed if she "forgets" how to use the potty when other developmental stages wrest priority in her growing brain.

Kids tend to learn how to use the toilet when they're damn well ready: we suddenly went from a ton of diapers to none over the course of a few weeks because our youngest started toileting at 18 months, while her sister did at exactly the same time, at age 3 and a half!

In other words, however long it takes in the end, don't let toilet training be an unnecessary source of stress. As other parents told us, kids don't end up in diapers or using soothers in high school, no matter how long it took to give them up in toddlerhood.