4 February 2011

Half way there

Sophia is six months old today. That also means that my maternity leave is halfway done. It’s crazy how time flies!

At six months, Sophia is rolling to and from her back and tummy. Once on her tummy, she can spin clockwise. She’s getting quite mobile and has, on a few occassions, managed to wiggle her way off her play mat and onto the hardwood floor. And on one occassion, she managed to roll herself off our bed. Yikes! That was pretty traumatic (more for us than her). Thankfully, she didn’t hurt herself. Not even one bruise. It was quite the eye-opener for me and Ed. We definitely underestimated how mobile she was!

She has started to sit up on her own. She’s still wobbly but she has figured out how to stick out her hand to stop herself from falling over to the side. She still does a face plant or a backward dive from time to time. It’s just hilarious when she turns her head to look at something (like our cat walking) and she starts to tilt slowly until she is completely on the floor.

Sophia is an easy-going and good-natured baby. She’s always alert and keenly observes the world around her. It’s so fascinating to watch her discover new things everyday. Babies are truly amazing! That she can do all these things now, just six month after her birth, is remarkable.

As for me, six months later, I’m still not working out, paddling, or running. I still can’t fit into my clothes. I’m still eating like I’m pregnant (I’m nursing so I’m allowed!). I’ve learned a lot about being able to function when one is sleep deprived. I’ve learned that I really need to let go of my need to control everything. I’ve learned that to enjoy this experience of being a mom, I do need to just go with the flow and not worry too much about what’s coming next.

Just as the last six months have zoomed by, I know that my year off will be over before I realize it. I’m so excited to see Sophia grow and develop. She’s so much fun and I’m so lucky to be part of her life.

3 comments:

Lisa Corriveau said...

Great pictures! It's amazing how all the little babies from our prenatal group are starting to look like little *children* now. I can't put my finger on what exactly makes it so, but I've started seeing a little boy in my arms, rather than a baby.

Hope to see you & your little girl at the February meetup... :)

The Blommesteins said...

Happy six months you cutie pie!!

Yvette said...

Happy half-birthday, Sophia! I think we ALL feel lucky to have you in our lives!