5 February 2011

Sleeping in Vancouver

We are twelve days into Sophia’s sleep training and I am happy to report that she is doing superbly. She’s sleeping through the night now in her crib, in her own room (we were co-sleeping before). Also, she is going to sleep on her own (we would rock or bounce her before). We have a wind down routine to get her ready for night sleeps and naps, then we put her down in her crib while she’s still awake. Sometimes she cries but more often now, she doesn’t. Usually, she is asleep within ten minutes of being put down. We’re very proud of her progress! We’re still working on lengthening her naps, which apparently takes a while to learn.

We are working with a sleep consultant, Dawnn Whittaker (www.cheekychops.ca), and I have to say, she’s been soooo worth it. Having somebody knowledgeable to guide us through this process and to phone or email to ask questions is a huge weight off my shoulders. Readings books are fine but I can’t phone up the author to ask for clarification when my baby doesn’t respond exactly as outlined in the book.

I do miss sleeping with Sophia snuggled right beside me. I miss laying in our bed just gazing at her sleeping face and listening to her breathe. I miss waking up to see my baby watching my face intently, as if willing me to wake up and play with her. The best part was when she realized that my eyes were open and I was looking at her, she would flash me a huge smile. Waking up to that beautiful smile was the best!

Having Sophia go to sleep at 8pm and wake up at 7am means I am getting a full night’s sleep now. It took about ten nights of sleep before I stopped feeling utterly exhausted. I am so happy to be sleeping uninterrupted again. So happy! I’m sure Sophia will have nights when she’ll wake up but at least it won’t be the norm any more. I think Sophia is enjoying sleeping through the night, too.

No comments: