7 April 2006

Should we buy it?

Ed and I spent our Sunday afternoon running errands. The main to do was to order our fireplace mantle. The other to do was to check if an Ikea frame would fit a poster we bought at the National Gallery of Art last October.

We went to Ikea first but couldn’t find parking so we decided to head to The Finishing Touch instead. But as we left Ikea, I noticed a sofa store called Take a Seat across the street. Since we are looking for new furniture for our living room, we decided to go in and check it out. We ended up liking a leather sofa. We weren’t even shopping for leather sofas! Because we have cats, we have been advised not to get leather because the cats’ nails dig into it when they jump off. But somehow inspite of our earlier decision not to buy leather, there we were checking out this leather sofa from Italy.

Ed and I gave it the ultimate test - can we sleep on this comfortably? Lie down on your back, curl up on your side. Comfy? Unfortunately, it was very, very comfortable. Darn.



It’s on sale - 20% off. It’s priced very reasonably. It’s made in Italy (that means it’s well made, right???) and we can choose the colour we want. Should we buy it??? What if I get sick of the design after a few months? What if leather just sucks when it comes to cats? I wish I had a decorator who would just tell me what to buy.

Ed and I live in our living room. We watch TV, eat, work, read, sleep, play with our cats in our living room. I guess comfort should be the deciding factor. Besides, I just want the furniture to last from 8 to 10 years. I’m pretty sure I would outgrow this style by then and would want something new. That outlook does remove some pressure from the commitment of buying furniture.

Well, to satisfy my need to shop and compare, Ed and I will be hitting the stores this weekend. If in the end, this sofa is still the one we like, then we’ll go ahead and order it. Maybe I should just hire a decorator!

No comments: