23 April 2006

Sun Run

After 12 weeks of training, I’m finally doing it for real. My first 10K run, ever! How exciting. I am nervous because I didn’t get a full night’s sleep because we attended Rosanne’s wedding last night. But I’m sure adrenaline will get me through. Plus the sun is shining bright; the weather could not have been more perfect.

Ed and I meet up with the rest of the Navarik crew in our office, then we make our way downtown. We managed to scoot in (more like scale the wire fence) just east of Burrard St. Over 50,000 people are participating! There are people lined up along Georgia St until the eye can see. It is an amazing sight.

At 9am we start inching our way towards the start. I try to catch a glimpse of my co-worker, Derek, whose band, The Neurotics, is playing on a tall platform just before the start line. As we approach the start line, Ed gives me a kiss and says “see you at BC Place” then runs off. I turn on my iPod and I wish both him and me a good race.

The first part is really easy! It’s all downhill towards Denman St and it was a good warm-up. Having so many people around me, passing me, is a little unnerving. As we head into Stanley Park, the run becomes work - just what I expected it to be. I keep breathing steadily, swinging my arms comfortably, just pacing myself. I try to enjoy my surroundings especially through Stanley Park and English Bay but it’s difficult to do so. I am watching for slower runners and walkers ahead of me while trying not to be an obstacle for those behind me who are faster. Plus there’s the nagging “pace yourself, it’s a long run” thought in my head.

I am running along when I see the 3 km sign. I check my timer and see that I am on pace to finish under my target of 65 mins. That is a big boost. But I can’t help but think “3 km? That’s it? I’m not even halfway yet?!?” Arg!

The climb up Hornby St and Burrard Bridge is where I slow down quite a bit. I do my old lady run - little steady steps - to keep my heart rate steady during the uphill run. I just don’t want to burn out. We reach the end of the bridge and get onto 4th Ave and I realize I have to run all the way to Cambie Bridge. Ouch! That’s when the mental battle starts. “I can walk for 1 minute, I’m sure that is fine”. “No, just keep running. Don’t walk!”. Back and forth my thoughts go, like tennis players hitting the ball from one end and back. I fight the urge to stop and I keep swinging my arms, urging my legs to keep going, too. Keep breathing, I remind myself. And then a man in a fat ballerina sumo wrestler type costume passes me. Great, just the boost I need right now. I keep checking my watch. 20 mins left; 15 mins left. I keep wondering if I’m going going to hit my target time. I really have no clue if I’m on pace or not.

I make it to Cambie Bridge and surprisingly, running up the bridge is not as hard as I thought it is going to be. I paced myself well. Then I see the 9km sign. I check my watch and I have around 8 minutes left on my timer. Oh yeah! I’m going to make it! I push myself to pick up the pace. Down the bridge then across the finish line. Check timer. 62:29! Woohoo! I did it! 2 mins 31 seconds below my target time. Yay! I’m so proud of myself. I can’t help but have a big smile of my face.

Ed did the race in 51:24. That is a good time and I’m really happy for him.

I am so glad I did the Sun Run. Getting into running has its difficulties but all in all, the last 12 weeks have been very rewarding. I can run 10km without passing out and still feel pretty close to normal the next day. Very cool indeed!

Everyone in our Team Navarik did really well too. Kevin finished in 42 minutes! That’s insane! But he’s also 26 years old. hehehehe I’m very proud of everyone who participated.

Will I keep running? Yeah, I’m pretty sure I will. I think this warrants a reward, though. Like a new pair of running shoes, perhaps???

No comments: