9 April 2009

Holy week and Easter

I was raised in the Catholic faith. My mom was very devout and made sure her children went to church regularly. I also went to a Catholic school (honestly, I think all the schools in Manila were Catholic anyway) where I learned all about the religion. Lenten season is observed - no meat on Fridays, practice sacrifice, do penance for your sins, etc. Holy Week is a huge deal in the Philippines. People usually travel to their home towns and spend Holy Week and Easter with their extended family. There are lots of religious ceremonies throughout the week, the most hard core one involving actually nailing individuals (usually men but I don’t think women are prohibited) to a cross. Some people walk on their knees from the door of the church to the altar while praying. Lots of prayers and processions. Then on Easter Sunday, the somberness is replaced with rejoicing and celebration.

I used to give up junk food during Lent. As someone who loves junk food, I viewed this as the ultimate sacrifice. No chips and cheezies for 40 days! I don’t practice the ceremonies and observances of the religion anymore but i still always think of junk food when Easter comes around.

2 comments:

lizza said...

Hi Liezel,

Nice post, it took me back some years as well. I remember someone would carry the cross down the street. I don't remember anyone being nailed. Maybe I blocked it off as that would be very traumatic for me to see. I do remember not having to give up anything for lent because I was so 'thin' and my parents couldn't think of having give up anything. It never occurred to me that I can sacrifice in different ways. funny.

Derek said...

I've never been at all religious, but the idea of Lent still seems like a good one. We might appreciate things more if we give them up for a time.

Since I started cancer treatment a couple of years ago, however, I figure I've been forced to give up a lot anyway, so I haven't done anything further for Lent. :)