30 April 2009

Weak hips

Apparently, my left hip is weak and my left IT band is tight. This was the physiotherapist’s diagnosis as the causes for the pain in my left knee when I run. He gave me a bunch of exercises to do everyday to strengthen my hip muscles to keep my hip stable when I run. I’ve also had to stretch my IT band by rolling on it. And Patrick, my physio guy, has been massaging it too during our sessions and holy cow, it hurts!!!

But it’s all good. I look forward to the day when I can run and not worry about my knee hurting. Oh, the other assignment Patrick gave me was to replace my running shoes which are now over a year old. Did you know that you’re supposed to replace your running shoes every 600 - 800km? I thought at first that that was a lot but when I calculated that I could run about 18km to 25km a week, that would be 45 weeks max to reach 800km. That’s not even a whole year. Anyway, I decided on the Mizuno Wave Creation 10 which feel sublime on my feet. I’m excited to get them out on the road when Patrick gives me the go-ahead to run again.

2 comments:

The Blommesteins said...

It's always nice to have some tell you to go out and buy new runners. I'm embarassed to say how long MY runners would last according to Patrick!

LL said...

Walking also counts towards the mileage of the shoes, Mon. :)