18 May 2006

I feel lost without my laptop

Only when the laptop was stolen did it become so evident how much I rely on it at work and at home. I didn't really have any downtime at work because there was a Mac mini in the office but although I had a computer, it was not set up the way I'm used to. It was the little things - the order of the icons on the desktop, the little utility that minimizes all open windows at once, the backup routine I had set up, etc. They are all gone and it's distracting as hell.

Then there's the interim aspect of it. The replacement laptop has been ordered so I don't really want to invest the time into setting up this Mac mini exactly how I want it. So I chose to do without my little gadgets and set up for now.

I am very excited about getting the replacement laptop. I'm nervous about taking it out of the office in the future. I don't want to lose another machine! But I will be getting a MacBook Pro (2.0GHz Intel Core Duo w/ 1GB RAM, 100GB HD, + 256MB VRAM). Sweet!

So for now, until the MacBook Pro arrives, my Mac experience is stripped down to the basics. I hope that laptop gets here soon!

1 comment:

Derek said...

You can set up the mini just as you like it, and then migrate all the settings and documents and apps over to the MacBook Pro when you're ready using Apple's Migration Assistant. Just so you know!