6 May 2006

Break and enter

A week ago, burglars broke into our home and invaded our privacy. They stole not only our possessions but also our sense of safety. I felt violated and trampled upon. And angry. How can people have no conscience? How can they just take our things and not feel so terrible that they would swear never to do it again? What kind of people would do this to others? How can people be so evil? I just don't understand how they can live with themselves. I'm an ethical person and I always treat others (and their property) with respect. So it makes me angry when others don't extend the same consideration to me. And to be frank, I don't really understand how they can be that way.

In any case, our peace at home was shattered. With the breaking of a patio sliding door, these thieves have turned our lives upside down, at least for the days and weeks to come. It took a couple of days for it to sink in; Monday was a very bad day for me. I was an emotional basket case, bursting into tears when a caring friend asked how I was doing or when phoning my coach to tell him I was in no state to attend our dragon boat practice or when speaking with the insurance claims guy about the things stolen from our house. I was lamenting our loss and I decided I was allowed one day of feeling sorry for myself.

Almost a week have passed and I am in a better state now. I am not looking forward to all the legwork we need to do to replace our stolen possessions. Of course, the insurance company doesn't make it super easy. But so far, our dealings with our claims adjuster have been positive. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it remains that way.

I feel worst about the jewelry they stole. They were not super fancy but each earring, bracelet, necklace, and ring had a story that made them mine. My high school ring is gone. The bracelet my mom gave me for my graduation is gone. The earrings Ed's grandmother gave me for our wedding are gone. Pawned off somewhere, to people who don't care that these jewelry were part of someone's life story. My life story!

Second worst, the digital photos that are forever gone. Now, I'm going to be a backup fanatic especially when photo and music files are concerned. And now I realize, too, that I need to document our possessions - in case we ever need to replace them. Having photos catalogued and documented proof of ownership makes it easier to make the insurance claim. Unfortunately, we are basically starting from scratch in this area. The next few weeks are going to be painful.

But life goes on. I refuse to live in fear and anger. I have to let it go. So I dust myself off and trudge on with a few lessons learned.

No comments: