11 July 2006

Beach volleyball

Yesterday, Kevin, my co-worker, asked me to play beach volleyball with them. They need a minimum of two girls and usually, Jo and Hina play but Hina was sick so they were short one girl. Kevin said that by showing up, I already give the team 5 points (I guess that’s the penalty for not having enough girls). I was better than having nobody, in other words. So, I reluctantly agreed. I haven’t played volleyball since high school and I was never good at it. All I remember is how much it hurt my arms. I was not really looking forward to it.

Before the game started, I got the quick tutorial of what to do and where to stand. Practicing the toss, I hurt my thumb. Great, that’s a good sign.

It turned out to be not so bad. My arms did hurt, a lot. But I also served quite well and scored a few points that way for the team. I squealed just once - when a serve was directed my way and it freaked me out. And I was able to pass the ball a few times. I missed a bunch too. Oh well.

The other thing that hurt were my feet and ankles. I was barefoot and running around on sand. There’s no support whatsoever for the lateral movements my feet have to endure. My right foot cramped up by the third game. How come nobody has invited beach volleyball shoes yet, I wonder?

In the end, we won some of the matches and I thought we played fairly well, considering they had me! Go Team Navarik!

No comments: