7 July 2006

Outrigger

I did it - I joined the FCRCC OC1 orientation program last week. My first session was last Thurdays, June 29. This orientation program also entitled me to participate in the OC6 novice program every Tuesday evening and Saturday morning.

My OC1 session was very interesting. It was my first time in an OC1 and Norm, the coach, explained how to get the outrigger assembled, how to steer it, and how to get it into the water. I stayed in Alder Bay for a while, just going in circles, as I got accustomed to the OC1. We did go out to False Creek and that was exciting. I was very careful not to tip the boat over.

I attended the OC6 practice the following Tuesday, July 4. My first time in an OC6! We paddled from the Burrard marina to Siwash rock in Stanley Park. It was really fun and Norm said my technique is very sound, which was nice to hear. I found the paddling easier on the body because it’s not so frantic. It’s a little weird, though, because there is no foot brace to push off of and I haven’t figured out how to do a proper leg drive. Norm wanted me to focus on keeping my torso steady and to not lean out to the side. I want to work on my right side and making sure I lean forward and rotate properly.

It was really nice to paddle out by Stanley Park. With the dragon boat, we’re confined to False Creek but with the OC6, we can go out to the open water. And I get to feel the boat more, maybe because it’s lighter. I don’t know why that is but I just do.

So for the next few weeks, I’ll be paddling in the outriggers more than the dragon boat. Should be fun...

No comments: