19 July 2006

Philippines, here we come

Ed and I are finally starting to organize our trip to the Philippines. It’s been almost 14 years since I was last there and I’m sure so much has changed. And I’m sure so much has also remained the same.

We will be going in mid-September and I’m staying for 4 weeks while Ed is staying for 3 weeks. I’m doing my reunions and get togethers with classmates and old friends that first week. Then once Ed comes, we will be spending the next two or two and a half weeks travelling around the country. Not really sure yet how much we can fit in; it will all depend on the transportation methods we end up with. Since the country is made up of islands, travelling from one destination to another will always involve a plane or a ferry. Flying everywhere would be expensive and taking ferries would slow us down a lot. At the very least, we will visit Cebu, Palawan, and Boracay. I’m hoping to make it north to the rice terraces in Banaue. And maybe we’ll get our PADI certification. We’ll see.

It will be very interesting to see my friends from way back, to catch up, to see for myself how their lives have evolved. I’m sure I’m going to get questioned a million times why I don’t have kids yet. Everyone’s going to comment how payat (thin) I still am. There is nothing sacred over there, nothing too delicate to discuss. I better brace myself!

It’ll be fun, I know it. Two more months before I go. Can’t wait!

No comments: